using usb keyboard with laptop

nive 09:32 16 Dec 05

I use a laptop all the time but have to deal with figures. I have therefore started using a usb keyboard at home to take advantage of the numeric keypad. However when I am mobile and wish to revert back to the on board keyboard of the laptop it responds as though the function (Fn)key is locked and the function key options on the keyboard become the default keystrokes (e.g. 1 when you press J etc.). I have tried re-booting the machine without the keyboard plugged in and also un-installing the keyboard and then re-booting but the problem remains. I can solve the problem by setting up a new user on the machine but I don't really want to do that as I would then have e-mails stored in two places etc.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem

Big Elf 10:12 16 Dec 05

Do you mean that when you hold down the Fn key and press NumLock it doesn't revert back to normal keyboard settings?

mgmcc 10:48 16 Dec 05

As suggested, there should be a key combination to enable/disable the NumLock function. Alternatively, disable NumLock with the USB keyboard before shutting down the laptop or removing the keyboard.

Big Elf 11:35 16 Dec 05

P.S. You can get a very good separate numeric USB keypad from Homebase for about a tenner. It's made by 'Mobile Computing'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…