Using a USB disk in Windows 95!

NinkyRudes 16:31 31 Mar 05

I hope someone out there can help. My workstation is a Celeron 400 with 64Mb RAM, no CD rewriter and Windows 95 build 4.00.950.B, which is a pretty shocking pile, to be honest.

However, being linked up to the server of one of the world's largest IT companies, it does offer absolutely blistering download speeds.

Having checked with my boss, she is happy for me to use this facility during breaks/lunch etc, as long as no data is saved onto any of the multiple HDDs on the network.

Since I would rarely have the need for downloading files larger than 150 megs, I have had the genius idea of using my Sony Memory Stick Walkman, which uses Memory Stick Duo storage & USB 1.0, to download the files straight on to.

However, a few questions: on my XP & ME machines at home, the drivers for the walkman are installed, and the o/s sees the walkman as a removeable disk. Will 95 be able to do this?

If not, is there a USB powered pen/cartridge/adapter that will take Memory Stick Duo? Speed is not an issue (plus 95 won't support USB 2), but a simple compatible way of transferring files from the internet to my memory card is.

Any ideas? Anyone attempted such things on an older PC? It does have a couple of USB slots on the back, so hopefully it won't be a problem...

TomJerry 16:44 31 Mar 05

moreover, even if the driver is available, you ned to ask if you are allowed to install driver on the PC

I am not sure about Sony memroy stick, but some usb1 pen disks I used before do come with Win95SR2 driver.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 31 Mar 05

I o not think you will beale to get USB to work with windows 95 no drivers available.

Windows 98SE was the first op system to have USB compatibility.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 31 Mar 05

I am not sure if you will beale to get USB to work with windows 95, no drivers available.

Windows 98SE was the first op system to have USB compatibility.

HAve a check at click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 31 Mar 05

Oops bad finger work there I think.

NinkyRudes 17:15 31 Mar 05

I don't know if this helps, but before I touch any drivers on this PC, if I go to Device Manager, the final entry is USB controller, and on branching this out, we've got "Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller" and "USB Root Hub".

Both devices are working properly, but neither have a driver file assigned to them.

It may be that this PC was originally used for programming non-PC terminals etc.

As far as I can tell, that's USB enabled though, isn't it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 31 Mar 05

That sounds like USB enbled.

When you plug in your pen drive te root hub will disappear to be replaced by your pen drive(xp)this is where you need the drivers for any devices you are going to plug in for 95/98.

BlueMeanie 18:01 31 Mar 05

Hi

Plug the memory stick into the USB port, and see what happens. If a windows pops up acknowleding that an unknown USB deivice has been inserted, then you know that the PC is certainly USB enabled. Its then a case of finding a Windows 95 driver for your particular brand of memory stick.

Belatucadrus 18:12 31 Mar 05

USBman is good, following their instructions I got W95 to work with a USB Zip100 drive, but never did find any W95 drivers when I tried to do the same with my Flash stick.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 31 Mar 05

Sometimes win98 drivers will work instead

NinkyRudes 12:42 01 Apr 05

Hi folks! I'm back after a long night.

Thanks for your constructive help, but my Sony net walkman has apparently died! Never mind, it's under warranty + already on its way to being replaced.

However, I have just ordered a PNY 512Mb USB flash pen, so when that arrives, I'll bump this thread with any outcomes/further cries for help.

See you soon!

P.S. The problem could be solved by using my colleague's XP machine, but it's the principle! Plus I like a challenge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…