Using Unique Fonts in a Website

babybell 13:17 09 May 05

I have built a website and i have used a font that best suits the style of the webpage, however, i viewed the site from another computer and it appeared differently. I checked and that pc didnt have the font i used. Is there anyway that other people can view my website the way i want it to be viewed even if they dont have the required font?

slightlymad 17:51 09 May 05

You've come across one of the drawbacks to designing web pages, and the reason why so many sites use Verdana, Arial, et al (sans serif fonts being considered easier to view). It's because these are generic Windows fonts, and likely to be on most users PCs.

If your code looks like this:

font-family: Verdana, Arial, 'Century Gothic' sans-serif;

This is how the browser will interpret it: Look for Verdana, and if this isn't installed on the viewer's system then look for Arial. If this isn't installed, then try Century Gothic. Failing this, use any sans serif font that the user has on their system.

Note that if you're using a font containing TWO words, then you need to enclose these in single quote marks, as above.

Hope this helps.

Marie

PurplePenny 18:06 09 May 05

You *can* make sure your visitors see your chosen font by embedding it. However, there are a lot of problems with doing this.

It will slow down the load time of your pages because the font has to download as well as the page itself.

It can trigger a security warning which might put people off.

Some font designers don't allow their fonts to be embedded.

Different browsers require different embedding technology.

If you still want to go ahead and embed a font here's how to do it: click here

Forum Editor 20:07 09 May 05

is to use Flash to create your pages. This technology effectively produces a series of graphic images (which may be static or animated) of your text and other content. Your visitor's browser downloads the file and displays it exactly as it was created.
The drawback to this method is that Flash takes a while to get to grips with, it makes pages far more difficult to edit - you have to edit the Flash file for each page - and your visitors need a browser plug-in to view the results. Flash files can be very big, and take a while to download, and unless you have a very specific reason for wanting to go to great lengths to learn Flash I advise against it for an ordinary site.

Another way to ensure that fonts are displayed correctly - even if your visitor's machine doesn't have them installed - is to create a graphic file (a .gif) of the text. This method is normally used for ornate headers and/or banners however - it isn't appropriate for general page content.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…