Using UK laptop in USA

harps1h 17 Aug 11
Answered

My daughter is going to Oregon for 9 months study. she is bringing a standard 2 pin adapter plug, but I am not sure whether this is sufficient for the change in voltage. Can somebody advise?

Read more: Forum | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?uid=329883&f=2&t=348874&start=0&sid=7792346c04ad7b93a50d5bccb71d0f2a#ixzz1VIauhFzC

Woolwell 17 Aug 11
Answer

The majority of laptop adaptors will take either 110v or 240v input and automatically adjust. If you look on the laptop charger it will state its input range. I have used my laptop in the USA without problem using a plug adaptor to go from 3 pin to standard 2 pin USA socket.

Woolwell 17 Aug 11

ps the same is true for mobile phone and camera battery chargers.

harps1h 17 Aug 11

thank you that is reassuring.

Forum Editor 17 Aug 11

she is bringing a standard 2 pin adapter plug, but I am not sure whether this is sufficient for the change in voltage.

It is, as Woolwell says. Your daughter will have no problem, she'll just need a plug adapter.

Migwell 17 Aug 11

When in USA last year I just plugged in my video camera and the charger for my Nikon straight into the American wall socket with a 13amp to USA adapter. No problem what so ever. Should work just the same for a Laptop computer

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message