Using UK laptop in USA

johnanthony 11:54 24 Feb 10

Hi. I have searched but cant find the answer. My teenage grandson wants to take his laptop on holiday to the States.(yeah I know but he is in love etc) As we know the voltage is only half of UK voltage. Will it still work without damaging the battery or the laptop.

Or will he have to get a US mains transformer to make sure the supply to the laptop is correct?

Thanks in advance

Woolwell 12:02 24 Feb 10

As far as I am aware most laptop chargers will accept from 100 to 240v. To check you should look on your charger and it should state the input voltage that it will accept. He will of course need to have an adaptor as the UK plug will not fit USA sockets.

I have used my laptop on USA power with no problems.

I take it that he wants to get on the internet. Many hotels provide free wifi or internet access but they may charge and he needs to be careful about security.

If he has not taken a laptop through an airport before then it needs to go through security out of its bag separately.

MAJ 12:09 24 Feb 10

most laptop chargers will work with 100 - 240 Volts input, but he'll need a socket adapter. click here

johnanthony 12:17 24 Feb 10

Thanks Guys thats reassuring. My old fashioned electrical knowledge said that transformers were hard wired to give a constant input / output ratio. So I thought that if you only put half the volts in then you only get half the volts out and also then of course this reduces the power. I am probably wrong.

So what will be the effect of reducing the input voltage, will it just take longer to charge the battery?

In fact he usually uses it connected to the mains anyway so charging time is not so important.

Cheers

Input Overload 12:22 24 Feb 10

I never notice any difference when using my DELL is the USA.

MAJ 12:24 24 Feb 10

It only takes about 20 Volts DC to run the laptop and charge the battery. The charger converts the AC input to 20 Volts output so he should notice no difference. Just check the charger/transformer to ensure that it works on 100 - 240 Volts input and that it isn't fixed to just 240 Volts.

johnanthony 12:24 24 Feb 10

Thanks Input Overload, thats great. He'll be relieved.
Cheers everyone

MAJ 12:25 24 Feb 10

"The charger converts the AC input to 20 Volts output"

Should read:

The charger converts the AC input to 20 Volts DC output

EARLR 12:27 24 Feb 10

As everyone has said: Laptop chargers are "Auto-transformers" they will convert the input voltage (100 to 250)to the required output. This should be stated on the data plate on the charger.
All you need is the US to UK socket adapter.

Hope your kid has a nice time.

Woolwell 12:27 24 Feb 10

The same applies to mobile phone chargers which he may want to use. Check the input.

DieSse 15:59 24 Feb 10

"Laptop chargers are "Auto-transformers""

No they aren't - they are Power Supplies, far more than just transformers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…