Using two monitors?

Hedontownee 18:48 01 Sep 03

Hello, Your thoughts on this topic will be appreciated. I am considering using two monitors to extend the "working or viewing area".
How do you do that ?. Ihave a spare monitors that will do the job. Do I need a daul support graphics card or do I just fit another ordinary graphics card. Will Windows XP recognise the additional graphics card as well as the original main one. Comments on this proposed modification would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

wiznyme 19:02 01 Sep 03

Which version of XP are you using, XP home doesn't support dual monitors

anniesboy68 19:08 01 Sep 03

Well, I'm using two monitors!

Hedontownee 19:08 01 Sep 03

Using Windows XP Professional

anniesboy68 19:09 01 Sep 03

And on Xp, surely its the graphics card that has to support two monitors...yes?

Rayuk 19:15 01 Sep 03

Do you mean to have the 2 monitors as 1 desktop??
You can have the 2nd monitor as an extension,ie desktop on main monitor and open help files or Internet Exp window on 2nd with WinXP home

Just do a check Nvidia ATI Matrox with dual monitor connections on card.

wiznyme 19:15 01 Sep 03

Possibly been updated by SP1 but home edition never used to support multiple monitors.

click here

wiznyme 19:19 01 Sep 03

Both graphics card and operating system have to support dual display for it to work.

As I said Home Ed never supported this but if anniesboy68 has it running then there must have been an update to change this.

hugh-265156 19:21 01 Sep 03

you will need a graphics card that has an s-video out if connecting to a will need an extra vga or dvi out to connect up another monitor and the correct cables.

with the computer switched off, hook up your tv or monitor to your graphics card,turn on the computer and install the drivers for the monitor if nessesary.

click start/control panel/display/settings/

you should see two displays 1 & 2,click display no.2,adjust the resolution and colour quality if you want and tick"extend my windows desktop to this monitor"

for ati graphics cards if you are using a tv,you will find all the extra settings in start/control panel/display/settings/advanced/displays here you can fine tune things a bit more.for nvidia cards it should be very similar.

hugh-265156 19:22 01 Sep 03

i use home edt with two monitors and it works a treat.

Rayuk 19:48 01 Sep 03

I also have 2 monitors 1 a tft 1 a crt no problems whatsoever.

Not sure whether it has changed or is it using 2 monitors as 1 desktop that is not supported.

Will be doing a little research on this later as am thinking of buying 2nd tft [same as 1 I have]to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…