Using two applications of Word 97

stangb 09:13 28 Mar 08

I like to do this when answering letters etc. But on my new XP PC, the second copy I start up is configured differently. When I try to delete this second copy I get messages saying Normal.dot and Global templates have been altered and do I want to alter them? Then it says 'cant do this as they are in use!'
Don't have this problem on my old PC, also XP.
Thanks for any ideas.
Stan B

MAJ 09:18 28 Mar 08

Normal.dot is the template that Word opens with, usually it's just a blank page unless you have deliberately modified it. If you haven't deliberately modified it, then close all instances of Word and do a search of your hard drive for a file called normal.dot, you'll have to search in hidden files and folders as well. When you find normal.dot (there may be more than one normal.dot), delete them all. Word will create a new, clean, normal.dot when you re-open Word.

stangb 11:48 28 Mar 08

Thanks MAJ,
Done exactly as you suggested but still the same thing happened. I've tried deleting and reinstalling Word 97 but still no difference.
Just a thought - I did try Word 2003 a couple of months ago but I wasn't keen so I deleted it and reinstalled Word97. I have only just got back to using it and found the problem. Could Word 2003 have anything to do with it?
Stan B

MAJ 12:08 28 Mar 08

It might have something to do with it, stangb. Try the Windows Cleanup Utility click here to clean up any of 2003's leftover files. When using the utility, only select the 2003 entry/entries if they are there.

stangb 09:59 29 Mar 08

No luck but thanks anyway. It's usable as it is but a nuisance when I come to close the second version. Takes about four tries! I think that I might try Word 2003 again as I may have been a bit averse to change when I tried it before!
Cheers, Stan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…