Using two ADSL modems

MIke 17:22 30 May 03

I had self install broadband last week, everythhing has gone fine. As I also have a laptop which I occasionally connect to the net from a different room, I obtained a second modem (off e-bay) of same model, to save unplugging the original modem on my desktop PC.

I have a problem though in that if I have both modems connected to the phone sockets I get no ADSL signal on either modem even with only one PC powered up. I have to disconnect one modem from its adsl socket to use the other one, which defeats the object really of my getting the second modem!!

Does anyone know if this is normal?? Is it just not possible to have two modems connected to the line even if one is not even powered up?

I have filters on the three phone sockets I have

Thanks

Mike

graham√ 17:39 30 May 03

The exchange will see two modems drawing power from the line as a fault, so no, you cannot have two connected even if one is not powered up.

MIke 18:03 30 May 03

TRhanks for that, ah well I got a cheap spare modem!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…