Using tv as monitor on laptop

Jebiah88 18:30 22 Jun 10

I use to use my tv as my monitor for my laptop using a vga cable, now when i plug the cable into my laptop the laptop screen automatically becomes the extended desktop and the tv screen stays black, and i can't change the settings without the main monitor dont know how to fix this please help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 22 Jun 10

Right click an empty area of the desktop - select properties - settings

should should two squares 1 and 2

click on number 2 uncheck the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"

click OK

Jebiah88 19:01 22 Jun 10

Thanks ive done that but the tv just isnt displaying anything its just blank??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 22 Jun 10

To switch to the TV you need to press The required key combination it will be a FN key and one of the F keys (then one with a blue square probably).

Mine is Fn +F5

Jebiah88 19:12 22 Jun 10

Okay i have that butthe tv is still displaying nothing almost like it isnt connected

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 22 Jun 10

Pressing the key combination a few times cycles though the monitors-

LCD only
LCD + external
External only

Also check source input on your TV is set to PC.

After that it may well be a matter of setting the 2 graphics output to the correct screen resolution and refresh rate to suit your TV (see your TV manual)

Jebiah88 19:53 22 Jun 10

Ive tried every single resolution setting and it still isnt displaying anything!! damnit this is annoying

Jebiah88 15:16 24 Jun 10

I gave the cable to my friend to check on his computer and it works it almost seems like there is a setting to enable the external monitor that im missing, baringin mind this use to work by just plugging it in! Thanks for the help so far!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 24 Jun 10

Make and model of laptop?
Operating System?

Jebiah88 18:45 24 Jun 10

Toshiba satellite pro l300-ad windows vista 32 bit
ive had a bit of luck getting it to display but distorted and it turns off when certain windows are opened the screen goes blank just from opening display settings then comes back once its closed!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 24 Jun 10

check the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017