Using the Soundcard as a Source for Recording Streamed Music

thegreypanther 20:54 PM 28 Jan 12
Answered

I am wanting to record streamed music on my PC (now using Audacity as the software).

However, the only options I have for the input are a) the Microsoft Sound Mapper and b) the microphone on my webcam. No mention of the soundcard on its own (Realtek).

I always thought that you could stream sound directly from the soundcard. If so, can anybody give me tips on how to set things up please.

I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

Grateful for any hints or tips.

rdave13 21:34 PM 28 Jan 12

Right click the speaker icon in the notification area and select 'Recording Devices'. See if you have 'stereo mix' or 'what u hear' in the list.

rdave13 21:45 PM 28 Jan 12

Just remembered your other post about trying to record using a dodgy software.

I did the same but used another one which wasn't quite as bad, Can't remember it now. What I eventually did was to update the sound driver to get stereo-mix available in the sound properties. If you're sure it's Realtek (High-Def)then I used this driver on Win7 64-bit and works a treat, link

rdave13 21:59 PM 28 Jan 12

Latest driver here but the older one works for me.

thegreypanther 11:31 AM 29 Jan 12

rdave13.

Many thanks, but even with the updated RealTek driver installed I'm still drawing a blank.

In Audacity I'm only given two options for recording.

Primary Sound Capture or Microphone

There is a choice of interface, - Windows Direct Sound or MME (whatever that is).

In the RealTek Audio manager, everything seems to be geared to playback. Nothing about iput.

I give up!!

thegreypanther 12:12 PM 29 Jan 12
Answer

SUCCESS!!

I persevered and read through Audacity's instructions in http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=MixerToolbarIssues#UsingtheControl_Panel

The trick is that in Windows 7 the "Stereo Mix" option is removed from the Sound Options - Recording in the Control Panel.

If you go into this box and right-click then Stereo Mix is presented to you. Select this and away you go!!!

Once this is set up in the Control Panel, then select it in Audacity's list of recording devices. Works brilliantly!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone