using someone else's router on my Wireless PC Card

Mit123 19:06 23 Feb 06

im just curious but how do you exactly connect with someone else's router e.g i have a PC card wireless and i take it to another city(location) and use it on my laptop and if i find a network name(SSID) would i be able to connect to their router and anonymously use the internet??? please can i have info on how to . thanks

keewaa 19:15 23 Feb 06

Yes you could, but not legally.

How?

You ring their doorbell and tell them you're outside in the car wanting to use their wi-fi, could you have their WEP or WPA access code.

keewaa 19:16 23 Feb 06

Oh and I forgot the last bit ... you then run !!

dms05 20:14 23 Feb 06

If you have your laptop WiFi card enabled and the 'other network' isn't encrypted you will automatically connect provided you have set your options to 'connect to any network' and 'automatically connect to non-prefered networks'. It really is that simple. Just open your browser having set 'Never dial aconnection' and you are on the Internet.

If you haven't set 'automatically connect to any non-prefered network' then XP will pop up a dialogue box offering you the option to connect.

You can achieve this also by clicking on 'view available wireless networks'.

It's illegal to connect to a network without the owners permission. Don't do it. Have you ever heard of Evil Twins?

Mit123 20:53 23 Feb 06

dms05
wont i have to figure out their IP address or something?. I have not got Wi-Fi but i only have a wireless pc card for my home router (both Netgear make). i had problems something got to do with the ip address when i first bought it, so wouldnt it be a problem with anohter persons router???

Mit123 11:32 24 Feb 06

any more ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…