Using software on more than 1 PC?

Tim1964 23:46 19 Jun 03

I know that we are not allowed to use an operating system or application on more than one PC but, my query is....does anyone know if any home user has ever been 'caught' using software that was licensed/purchased for use on another machine?

I would imagine the risks for a large company would be great for e.g my company has 4000 PCs, but would M$ really chase a home user, and if so what would the penalties be?

woodchip 23:54 19 Jun 03

On this one you will have to make your own decision, and take the risk if any. I have two comps my own at home one behind me and I use on both although they are setup different

Belatucadrus 00:01 20 Jun 03

I've got several PC's of different ages and between software provided with the original purchase, cover disks and freeware from the net haven't duplicated anything. As to what the penalties would be, who knows. I have no intention of finding out.

Tim1964 00:10 20 Jun 03

Belatucadrus,

So if you wanted, for example to have a copy of MS Office on 2 PCs you would buy 2 copies for £400 each.

Jester2K II 07:27 20 Jun 03

or Belatucadrus could buy one copy and then buy a second license which would be cheaper...

I know its not popular but some people do license all their software even if it means the same software multiple times....

Belatucadrus 10:58 20 Jun 03

No I wouldn't use office anyway, I think it's overpriced and I have a preferance for Lotus Smartsuite. I own a couple of legal copies of that, but I also have numerous versions of Star and Ability from cover disks, plus I could download Open office click here or 602pro click here from the web. So in answer to your question I would not buy two copies of office, in fact I don't even have one copy.

Tim1964 I'm not being judgemental, just outlining what I do, as my PC's are all non profit home use I have managed to use a lot of freeware on them, so the £400 is by and large still in the account.

woodchip 11:09 20 Jun 03

Good for you I use Corel WordPerfect OEM 2002

Tim1964 23:22 20 Jun 03

I'll take that as a NO then.

doorman 07:32 21 Jun 03

Check the wording of the license, some MS software can be used by the license holder on their main computer AND a portable machine, so long as no other person uses the computer.

crimbo 07:59 21 Jun 03

You can definitely use Office on your home PC and a laptop that you own and use

REG228 08:30 21 Jun 03

I actually contacted Microsoft directly re this and they informed me that you can use Office XP on a PC and your Laptop quite legally as Crimbo rightly pointed out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…