Using second drive

mjaspey 22:01 08 Nov 04

Installed second hard drive as running out of space on smaller drive. Recommended to me to keep smaller drive to run Windows (XP) from. However, how do I transfer/install programs to second drive and still run them from start menu shortcuts? I can't seem to alter path from short cuts that continue to lead to older drive. Hope this isn't too simple a question for all you geniuses out there?

AndySD 22:20 08 Nov 04

You cant simply just drag the folder contents over to the new drive as there are many registry entries involved. But to change a shortcut its Rightclick then Properties and chenge the tartet to the programs .exe

It may be better to copy the whole drive contents onto the new drive and use the old for backups. Who made the old and the new drives as the manufacturers often have a simple program to do this for you.

Bapou 23:07 08 Nov 04

I had a second drive installed, mainly for storing backup of (C;)with Drive Image, photographs, personal files etc.

If you are desperate for space on (C:) Drive uninstall 3rd party programs and reinstall on second drive. Create a new Programs Folder with sub folders for the reinstalled programs before doing so. Just choose the Drive and Folder to install to.

It may not be the correct procedure but it worked for me and using the right click on each program, choosing a shortcut is no different as before.

Bapou 23:08 08 Nov 04

I had a second drive installed, mainly for storing backup of (C;)with Drive Image, photographs, personal files etc.

If you are desperate for space on (C:) Drive uninstall 3rd party programs and reinstall on second drive. Create a new Programs Folder with sub folders for the reinstalled programs before doing so. Just choose the Drive and Folder to install to.

It may not be the correct procedure but it worked for me and using the right click on each program, choosing a shortcut is no different as before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…