Using RegSeeker-advice please.

dagwoood 17:50 02 May 04

Does anyone know where I could download a user guide for this s/w(or a link on how to use). I was thinking of using it but want to make absolutely sure of what I'm doing before I use it.

Also, I've read several other threads about using this s/w and they all advise making a back up of your registry before using this s/w but as I understand it you can enable RegSeeker to create back up files before making any changes. Would using this option be as effective as backing up the registry?

I don't have any back up devices so using the back up function in Regseeker is the only way I'd have of creating a fall back position(apart from system restore, but I don't know how effective this would be in correcting any errors where the registry is concerned).

My o/s is xp.

Any advice would be appreciated, dagwoood.

LastChip 18:00 02 May 04

System restore would normally be a fall-back position if things went wrong.

Be careful using RegSeeker. It is a good program in the right hands, but it can cause some programs to become inoperable, requiring a re-install to to repair. For example, it totally screwed up my installation of Office 97, but only because I was vicious in deleting entries.

It does backup as a default, so providing you can re-open RegSeeker, you can undo any changes the program has made.

If you are unsure about the registry, stay clear, but if you want to try and use the program, for starters, until you find your way around, just delete the entries marked GREEN and you can't go far wrong.

GaT7 18:28 02 May 04

Very good advice from LastChip.

If you want to know more about the registry - click here (the Introduction bit) or from Microsoft - click here. To learn how to back up the WinXP registry - click here.

I hope I don't regret telling you this, but if you're the curious or adventurous type (like I am)& would like to see what your registry looks like: use the Regedit command in the first link above. But do NOT, under any circumstances, change/delete anything there unless you know what you're doing!

dagwoood 22:15 02 May 04

Thanks for the info.and links guys.

Cheers, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…