Using "Paint" on XP PC

bumpkin 20:39 03 Mar 14

Hi my 4yr old grand daughter loves to mess around with "Paint" on an old XP machine. Once she has created her masterpiece she tries to print it but it always puts the picture over 3 sheets of A4 rather than just one. I have played around with the settings and got it to do it on one sheet on a couple of occasions but it then goes back to using three. I am sure this is quite simple if you know how but I am unfamiliar with "Paint" She is happy with it and it does not bother me really but it does waste a lot of paper and ink, so if anyone can tell me the answer I would appreciate it.

lotvic 21:48 03 Mar 14

I would suggest: In Paint, click on File, Page setup, Paper size:A4. Orientatation:Portrait. Scaling:Fit to 1 by 1 page.

In the Page setup window you will see at the left a 'preview' of your settings. The grey rectangle with a cross in it (that makes it look at first like part of an envelope) is the actual picture and shows size and where on a sheet of A4 it will print. so if only part of the 'grey envelope shape is showing then it will only be printing part of the picture on each sheet of A4, so you need to adjust the scaling to fit to 1 by 1 page.

lotvic 21:50 03 Mar 14

Ooops sorry typo, I meant Orientatation: Landscape - if that is the better setting for the type of picture granddaughter paints :))

lotvic 21:58 03 Mar 14

My apologies bumpkin, I find that getting Paint to remember the settings (making them default) for next time seems to be the problem. If I find out how, I'll post the info :)

bumpkin 22:13 03 Mar 14

Thanks for trying lotvic, I have already tried your suggestions but came to the same conclusion as yourself as I cannot seem to set it as the default.

bumpkin 22:30 03 Mar 14

lotvic, just ran through this again, the grey envelope looking thing is not the full page and scaling was set at 3 to 1, works fine if I set it as you say to 1:1 but defaults to 3:1 for some reason.

lotvic 22:46 03 Mar 14

Yes, seems to be the case and no way found to alter it ClickHere where the settings are explored and explained.

bumpkin 11:15 04 Mar 14

Thanks for the link, seems odd that the default can't be changed but so be it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…