Using a Pre-registered domain name?

fred2 16:42 01 Apr 06

Hi Folks,
I have created (I wont say designed)! a village website which I managed to register the domain and eventually get up on line OK.
Now a friend has asked me to design and upload a small site for his small two man joinery business. (Professional fees are beyond his means)!!
He tells me he has already bought and registered the domain name he wants.
If I set up the hosting in with say: '1 and 1' or 'Lycos' etc in my name....
How can I use or get access to his domain name? He Knows it was with 'Nominet' via a company that did it for him. But he does not know which!!!
What exactly is meant by domain name forwarding?
Is this the way to go?
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards Fred2

beynac 16:56 01 Apr 06

If you go to click here and enter the domain name in the "WHOIS" box (bottom right) it will give you information about the Registrant's Agent. This will tell you who to contact. Alternatively he could contact Nominet. (Nominet is the internet registry for '.uk' domain names.)

fred2 17:15 01 Apr 06

Many thanks beynac.
Whois tells me the agent is:
Registrant's agent:
LCN.com Ltd t/a lowcostnames.co.uk [Tag = AI]
URL: click here

What do you suggest I or he should do next?

Would it simplify matters if I looked at hosting the site with 'lowcostnames.co.uk' seeing that the domain is already on thier books?

Regards fred2

Forum Editor 18:41 01 Apr 06

is to sign up for a web-hosting package with your chosen host.

Then, get your friend to send a fax to the present 'parking' hosts, asking them to retag the name to the new host's Tag.

You'll have a control panel with your new host, and you should be able to use this to import the name into your account. All hosts use slightly different procedures, so ask yours what to do.

You should be aware that some parking hosts can drag their heels when it comes to transferring names out. Still others charge fees for doing it. I've never understood why - it takes about two minutes to do it.

fred2 18:50 01 Apr 06

Many thanks Forum Editor.
Will get him to do that on Monday hopefully!
and see what happens!
With all your help we are getting there.
Again very many thanks.
Fred2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced