Using phone to access internet...

martjc 21:31 09 Oct 06

...How do I go about this? Mobile phone accesses net. Can I pass the signal to laptop? How? Will I need a special cable? If so, any help about where to get it will be appreciated.

STREETWORK 22:02 09 Oct 06

You will need to be sure that your phone is ensbled for this from your provider. Connecting to the PC can then be achieved using either a USB/phone cable (ebay) or a blue tooth USB adapter, commonly known for soome reason as a 'dongle'...

Danoh 22:14 09 Oct 06

which ever way, it will be an expensive and slow connection. Even with the better BlueTooth-2.0 protocol/kit or USB cable.

dms05 11:52 10 Oct 06

I connect to the Internet by Mobile Phone, but only when travelling and no alternative exists. It is s...l...o....w. Only really useful for emails.

Assuming you use GSM via a built in modem you can improve the speed with On Speed and that just about equates to a normal Dial Up 56k line.

You could use GPRS but that is based on the data used. As even a short browse on the internet can me 1Mb of data that becomes extremely expensive very quickly.

Personally I connect to my laptop with either a USB cable (Siemens mobile) or IR (Nokia). Both work well and the link easily supports the best speeds available. But only for emails produced offline and sent online - expect to achieve a session in about 2 minutes. Not all email clients are the same so chose one that is fast.

martjc 12:07 10 Oct 06

...will see if it helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017