Using PC to watch TV programmes

daeburndave 16:42 12 Feb 06

Hi there

I would like to use my PC to watch TV: can you please advise me how I can achieve this: PC is high spec with high end graphics card and monitor is TFT and receives digital signals.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thks in advance

bremner 16:46 12 Feb 06

If you have good aerial reception have a look at this click here

Ray5776 16:49 12 Feb 06

Freecom stick is excellent but you must have a decent aerial, don`t rely on the one supplied.
ray

daeburndave 16:59 12 Feb 06

Thks Bremner and ray 5776 this looks the business: your point about having a decent aerial: are you recommending that I need to plug an aerial lead into my PC/monitor? if so this will be a problem as I dont have an aerial socket in my study. Perhaps you could clarify. Thks

pj123 17:19 12 Feb 06

Please enlighten me. Why would anyone want to watch TV on a computer?

I don't even watch my normal TV other than the BBC news. I have a perfectly good standalone TV set with a motorised digital satellite system, (giving me a choice of 18 satellites and maybe a total of 700 channels) a Freeview box and of course the standard terrestrial channels, most of which is not even worth switching the TV on for.

daeburndave 17:31 12 Feb 06

Hi pj123 You sound like me at times I only want to watch news progs or current affairs but my wife is regretfully in to soaps and other such rubbish most of which is unwatchable in view of all the screaming, whistling etc God forbid!
So... I like to lock myself away in the study and play computers but I cant watch TV because I cannot get an aerial socket to this part of the house: hence my post about trying to watch by PC.

Ray5776 17:33 12 Feb 06

You plug the aerial into the Freecom DVB-T so you will need an aerial connection, you can try the one that comes with the Freecom but I did not find it very good, others said it was. If you have an aerial cable or socket fairly nearby it should not be hard to run an extension. Good luck.

ray

Ray5776 17:38 12 Feb 06

pj123,

daeburndave sums it up well, same reason as me.

ray

daeburndave 17:46 12 Feb 06

ray 5776 Thks for yr help; ive done exactly as youve suggested and pinched a long aerial lead from the wifes TV plugged it into the nearest outlet and as luck would have it it reaches the desktop: next step is to order the Freecom unit: wife now tells me that all I need to do is acquire a pull-down bed which will fold away in the wardrobe and I'll be self-sufficient!!!

Smiler 17:47 12 Feb 06

If you use a tv card to receive tv then you will need an aerial. You could by a decent indoor aerial though.

Ray5776 18:22 12 Feb 06

Glad your wife has a sense of humour so does mine, let them watch soaps if it makes them happy.

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…