Using PC to catch a thief

BigAl127 00:08 05 Jan 07

I urgently need advice on setting up a pc to use for CCTV purposes in my 80yr old uncle's flat.

Money is going missing out of his wallet, and I want to catch the person responsible.

We've been in touch with the police for advice, and are waiting for them to get back to us.

Someone who used to come in the shop where I worked, had cameras set up in his shop, and somehow, was able to use our pc to view the pictures from the cameras in his shop.

So I was wondering how i'd set up a system at my uncle's to enable me to view or record pics om my pc at home.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

woodchip 00:12 05 Jan 07

You need a Wireless Video Camera with PC software

sean-278262 00:13 05 Jan 07

The easiest way to do it would be narrow down when the thefts occur. The setup you refer would be expensive as it would require broadband, a large hard drive and decent quality cameras. However why not use your own or a borrowed camcorder and hide it out of sight. Alternatively a digital camera with a video mode and a large memory card. Set it up before your theif arrives and catch them in the act. Check the wallets contents before and after recording and soon you will know what video to save and what to delete.

woodchip 00:19 05 Jan 07

First,Take a look hear click here

Looking at some of these! it may be cheaper to let them take the money. click here

click here

Stuartli 00:19 05 Jan 07

You require motion detection software - some Creative webcams include it in retail packs - which records incidents on the hard drive when triggered.

BigAl127 00:30 05 Jan 07

Up to yet there's no set pattern as to when the money goes missing, there may be a couple of days between incidents, or as much as 6 weeks at time.

It's usually £20 - £40 at a time, and up to yet there's at least £300 gone missing that we know too, overa period of 3 - 4 months.

There's carers come in 7 mornings and 5 evenings/nights a week, at least 1 family member daily, plus his friends and neighbours.

Although, I suspect one person from the list in particular, proof is what I need.

I have a camcorder, but the longest tape is 45 mins on short play or 90 mins on long play. So that's not really viable.

For a digital Camera, what size card would I need ideally to cover say a 6 or 12hr period?

BigAl127 00:35 05 Jan 07

I understand what you mean with the prices, But it's down to the fact, my uncle is 80, been in and out of hospital for the past 9 months, and it appears someone is taking advantage of him, which is making him more ill after each episode.

I'm actually hoping that it's a case of my uncle is hiding the cash somewhere in his flat, but my gut feeling knows that's unlikely, though not out of the realms of possibility.

the pie eater 02:28 05 Jan 07

If it's any good to you but my grandmother did the same thing cant find her purse money is missing etc, alas her mind had come to old age, when you can have a look around the flat in tea pots, behind pictures on the wall she did put it in many places,in the cubard where the towels are look between them you may be suprized

sean-278262 04:22 05 Jan 07

"For a digital Camera, what size card would I need ideally to cover say a 6 or 12hr period?"

128mb at a resolution of 352 x 288 hi res on most cameras for video will store 42mins. 176x144 will hold about 2 hours. Starting with low res will certainly allow you to prove a crime is being comitted so a 1gb card will do you for a 12hour period at long play as such. And if you can catch some evidence this way then you could move to hi res and try catch them again.

No use wasting time coming in every 6 or so hours to reset it all if you are not certain it is going on. No offence intended as my grandmother is also does this and misplaces things. So worth being totally sure.

If you want to drop me a message by the envelope by my name and I can give you a few pointers to get the best out of all this please do as I have done this myself in the past and had some experience. I really do hope it does happen to be innocently explained away.

Kindest regards at 4 in the morning.

COTN

Stuartli 09:00 05 Jan 07

When my mother-in-law sadly passed away, my wife discovered a few days later that her mother had hidden the money to cover her funeral costs inside a wardrobe.

BigAl127 09:18 05 Jan 07

I have messaged you, as you so kindly offered me the opportunity.

Although I need to find the answers, i'm looking at the cheapest way, to do it.

I have a spare pc,albeit a low spec one, that's why I was thinking along the lines of using that.

Any further advice appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now