Using Outlook Express with wireless router

ringtwice 17:35 18 Jul 07

I have just installed a phillips SNK5620 wirless router and got it working with IE so I can get online. However when I try to use outlook express to check emails it asks me to connect via one of my old (pre wirless) connections. I solved that problem in IE by telling it to "never dial a connection", this setting is the same in OE and OE also is set to share a connection with IE. I presume I could access email by connecting the phone cable to the socket and using the old connection, but this is awkward.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

brundle 19:06 18 Jul 07

in OE go to Tools/Accounts, select the email account and click Properties, click the Connection tab, make sure `Always connect to this account using` is unticked, the text in the dialogue box will probably still refer to your dial-up connection - see what other options are available - you should have Local Area Connection or Local Area Network - choose that instead. By unticking the box your PC will check for a broadband connection first but still be able to use dialup if BB is not available for any reason.

ringtwice 22:05 20 Jul 07

Thank you, this advice and that from daba in a similar query about OE has solved the problem. While I was looking I found something else useful about file ownership, so this site has proved to be of great help soon after joining. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…