Using Outlook Express with Aol

popgeoff 14:07 15 Apr 05

Been trying for some time to configure this. I have followed instructions to the letter but whenever I try to send e-mail using OE I get error messages. Tried doing it all again. Now when I open Outlook Express I get a pop up panel(Logon imap.aol.com) "Please enter your user name and password for the following server". I do that and click OK but the thing just pops up again?
(Incoming mail is appearing OK in the in box)
ANy thoughts please?

Yoda Knight 14:43 15 Apr 05

cehck that you have the correct details in the SMTP settings. Try adding or removing the "@aol.com" (or .co.uk) at the end of your username

popgeoff 15:09 15 Apr 05

Thanks I tried that.Message appeared to be on its way. Then I got error message again:The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: 'Aol', Server: 'Aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 HELP', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

By the way I changed the Outgoing Mail field from 25 to 587 as instructed

holly polly 15:48 15 Apr 05

try aol keyword imap

popgeoff 15:57 15 Apr 05

That was the first thing I did and printed out the instructions. Still trying!Thanks to u all for the input

Diemmess 16:21 15 Apr 05

Why use OE? Aol's own brand is one of their real value facilities. Easy to address, spellcheck, format, attach, forward, reply and send. Easily recovered from the archives if you need it.

popgeoff 16:29 15 Apr 05

Come to think of it you are right Diemess. It was just that I thought it might make things simpler when, for example, I want to e-mail a picture from Photoshop Elements. Not a big problem but surely if Aol give instructions on how to do it, it shouldn't be beyond me to make it work.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

Diemmess 16:44 15 Apr 05

Thats a relief! Probably recommended through Elements because we of Aol are(just)in a minority.

If you havn't tried yet, its a snip. Write your email the normal way, address, title, message and all, and then click on the Attach button at the bottom, browse for the file you want and double click on it, or click on the Open button.

The Write Email screen should now show the name of the attached file at the bottom. Send the normal way.

popgeoff 16:51 15 Apr 05

Diemess,
Yes I have been doing that and also having lots of fun with Aol over the years. It is very user friendly for me. The "You have pictures" thing is great. My sister in the USA can see slideshows of our latest trip. We are all on Aol so can chat on line easily and exchange pictures. As you said earlier why bother with Outlook. Life's too short at 69 and some! Thanks for the message. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…