Using one printer with two PC's

Woodmouse 18 19:46 29 Aug 07

Could someone please tell me how I can connect my one USB printer (Epson Stylus CX3200) with my two computers. The computers are linked with a Lindy USB2 cable which allows me to transfer files between them. It would be nice to be able to print to the Epson from eith PC.

woodchip 19:49 29 Aug 07

Ether use a Switch box, or you need to network them through a Router But if through a router you need to have both computers on to be able to print to the one with printer connected to it

PalaeoBill 20:23 29 Aug 07

The Lindy USB2 cable should have come with some software that allows you to either:

1. Run a file sharing application, akin to the old Laplink, that shows you a split screen of the local and remote computers directories.

or

2. Make the USB port emulate an ethernet port.

You need to do the latter. Then install/enable Windows File & Printer sharing, run the network connection wizard and finally share the printer as normal.

If you need the software and manual.
click here

interzone55 20:53 29 Aug 07

I have my two PCs networked, then I have a Belkin network print server on the network. This has two USB ports to allow me to connect two USB printers directly to the network.

This is a good, and reasonably cheap way to share a printer, and contrary to Woodchip's comment, you don't need to have both PCs switched on to print.

The only problem with my suggestion is that you will lose access to the scanner, as it is almost impossible to scan across a network using a domestic scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…