Using old HDD (or clone thereof) in new PC

Batch 18:37 PM 11 Oct 11

If I use the HDD of an existing PC (or a clone thereof) in a new PC (as the boot drive), what are all of the steps to consider? I am aware of the following:

-- Need to install drivers for the specific hardware of the new PC

-- Need to re-activate Windows (presumably with a new key) - it would be XP Pro SP3 in this particular case.

Anything else?

Specific questions:

-- Is it worth uninstalling specific drivers (e.g. graphics, sound) whilst in old system before transferring to new?

-- Should one do a Repair Install of Windows on the new PC or not? I read somewhere that this should be done for the sake of the drivers, but I would expect this to get sorted automatically (if Windows is aware of the drivers) or by manually installing the drivers (e.g. as downloaded from the mobo manufacturers site).

-- Any known pitfalls?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 PM 11 Oct 11

1. it probably won't boot
    1. if you do a repair install before allowing to boot from hard drive it should then work

2. you will need to reactivate as MS will see it as a pirated copy first time you try and update

Batch 14:00 PM 12 Oct 11

Thanks FB. Was just exploring the possibilities. Have decided to replace the failing HDD in my existing PC instead as I really don't want to spend the time frigging around at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know