Using old HDD (or clone thereof) in new PC

Batch 18:37 PM 11 Oct 11

If I use the HDD of an existing PC (or a clone thereof) in a new PC (as the boot drive), what are all of the steps to consider? I am aware of the following:

-- Need to install drivers for the specific hardware of the new PC

-- Need to re-activate Windows (presumably with a new key) - it would be XP Pro SP3 in this particular case.

Anything else?

Specific questions:

-- Is it worth uninstalling specific drivers (e.g. graphics, sound) whilst in old system before transferring to new?

-- Should one do a Repair Install of Windows on the new PC or not? I read somewhere that this should be done for the sake of the drivers, but I would expect this to get sorted automatically (if Windows is aware of the drivers) or by manually installing the drivers (e.g. as downloaded from the mobo manufacturers site).

-- Any known pitfalls?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 PM 11 Oct 11

1. it probably won't boot
    1. if you do a repair install before allowing to boot from hard drive it should then work

2. you will need to reactivate as MS will see it as a pirated copy first time you try and update

Batch 14:00 PM 12 Oct 11

Thanks FB. Was just exploring the possibilities. Have decided to replace the failing HDD in my existing PC instead as I really don't want to spend the time frigging around at the moment.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay