Using old email address with new ISP

Davy 43 10:42 19 Mar 09

Can anyone please help me with this. I have an old wanadoo email address which I would like to use with my new ISP. I can receive wanadoo mail ok, but cannot send replies unless I open Orange webmail & send through their. I have emailed orange & they confirm I can still use my wanadoo address to send & receive, although I would have to change the outgoing mail server (SMTP)setings. this I have done but to no avail, is this the only setting that is required to be changed? I'm using Windows Mail on Vista.

Thanks in advance,

David.

mgmcc 11:34 19 Mar 09

Just ensure that you are sending mail with the SMTP server of the ISP that you are connected to the internet with. The email address in your outgoing mail shouldn't matter (e.g. an Orange/Wanadoo address), *UNLESS* you are now with BT whose SMTP servers will normally only allow you to send mail with a BT address. As far as I'm aware, they are the only ISP to impose this restriction, which also precludes the use of personal domain email addresses.

Davy 43 13:46 19 Mar 09

Thanks mgmcc,

Changed the SMTP to that of present ISP, left everything else, & hey presto it worked!
By the way I'm now with BT, so especially please it's worked in light of what you said.

Thanks again for info.

David.

mgmcc 19:29 19 Mar 09

Perhaps BT saw the error of their ways and changed things ;)

emily3543 13:27 20 Mar 09

there could be 3 issue
1)smtp port
2)your mail size

about the the first as you have said you have done it but its still not working

so do for second. delete all send item. now try to send a simple mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5