Using notebooks in S.E. Asia..

BaboonBoy22 11:29 21 Aug 06

Does anyone have any advice on using a notebook in South East Asia.. mainly Thailand. The power sockets out there have no ground, so you get a shock everytime you touch anything that is connected to the mains. God knows how their electrical goods don't fry. Are they any gadgets that can rectify this problem? And having it plugged into the mains, I assume that it won't do the battery any good, as the voltage is 220AC, 50 Hertz.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

g0slp 11:38 21 Aug 06

The power converter will protect your laptop; its output is regulated, so the supply to the laptop from it will remain stable.

54david27 12:04 21 Aug 06

I have worked in SE Asia in countries such as Indonesia, China and Malaysia for the last 10 years and have used laptops there for my work. The standard voltage in these countries is 220v at 50Hz(which is the same as Europe) where as in the US it is 110v at 60Hz and again have had no troubles using there also, most of the laptops these days do not use a ground pin but as g0slp has previously stated the power adapter for most laptops can work from 110v to 220v and 50 or 60Hz so these will adapt to the local voltage. By the way I am now in Moscow and the same Laptop has been following me around the world for the last year without any problems.

anchor 12:07 21 Aug 06

Every notebook I have owned did not have an earth connection; only a two pin plug which went directly into the transformer from the mains socket.

As gOsip says, don`t worry about the voltage; the transformer should cope with anything from 100 to 24 volts and give a stable output.

rodriguez 12:22 21 Aug 06

There are 2 types of power outlet in Thailand - the thin 2-pin ones they use in the US and the round 2-pin ones they use in Europe. All you'll need is an adapter that plugs into either of these sockets to give you a 3-pin UK connection so you can plug the laptop into the socket.

anchor 13:28 21 Aug 06

"anything from 100 to 24 volts and give a stable output".

That should have been, of course,

anything from 100 to 240 volts and give a stable output.

JM45 14:22 21 Aug 06

I have been using a Dell laptop in Thailand for 2 years without any problem at all but it's best to unplug it when not in use as the thunderstorms are severe at times.

BaboonBoy22 08:55 22 Aug 06

So basically I shouldn't have a problem. Thank you very much for all your help guys.

rodriguez 17:46 22 Aug 06

You won't have a problem with the voltage because it won't need to be converted. You'll just find a UK 3-pin won't fit in their sockets so you'll just need an adapter. Mine cost £6 from Sainsburys and fits Europe, USA, Asia and even Australia (Australia have a weird 3-pin plug where the 2 bottom blades are slanted).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant