Using a Norton Ghost Image when upgrading HD

WightRob 16:49 07 Jan 07

I am running Windows XP without SP2.
I want to upgrade my hard drive to a larger size without re-installing everything. The current master disk is Drive C. I have a copy of Norton Ghost so I installed the new HDD as a slave (Drive D)and copied C to D. I then removed the original drive C and set the new drive to master.
I checked the BIOS and confirmed that the boot sequence is set to Hard Disk.
When I boot up, I get the XP start screen (the blue one with the horizontal bars top and bottom). It then just hangs. I am not sure if the new hard drive will automatically be assigned the letter C as it is the only drive now. If not, could this be causing the problem?
Any advice?

WightRob 16:58 07 Jan 07

Thought someone might ask that! Just realized that I forgot to say. It' Version 9.

sunny staines 18:00 07 Jan 07

did you include copy over mbr & tick boot option ?

WightRob 08:10 08 Jan 07

Yes, did that. I read through the help instructions first and am sure that I followed the correct procedure. The only thing I was not able to do was change the drive letter as this option was greyed out. In any cas I assume that as drive C was already allocated, this would have been unavailable.

jam500 09:12 08 Jan 07

I have just upgraded my hard drive too. I used a free program, My new drive was appointed drive c automatically, Maybe try a free version and see if that changes the situation.

WightRob 11:57 08 Jan 07

jam500,

Which program did you use? I have a couple of Paragon programs from recent PC Advisors. I think that I may be able t do a disk copy with one of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now