Using MySQL command prompt - Password??

gplatt2000 13:59 18 Jun 04

Hi all. I have just finsished installing click here , and been fllowing these instructions click here to try and get started using mySQL.

Hoewver, I got to this stage -

Tighten Security
MySQL has good security controls, but the default installation is wide open. So, if you're doing a new installation, let's close things up before we go any further. Of course, change NewRootName and NewPassword, below, to something unique.

mysql> delete from user where Host='%';
mysql> delete from user where User=';
mysql> delete from db where Host='%';
mysql> update user set User='NewRootName', Password=password('NewPassword') where User='root';
mysql> flush privileges;

And followed those steps. I then closed cmommand prompt (using the X at the top right, now hopeing that there isnt a 'proper' way to exit command prompt, but realising that there probably is). I then opened up the mySQL Prompt again, and tried starting again using these steps:

C:\mysql\bin> mysql -u root mysql
Enter password: ...Your Password...

But am not entirely sure what to do. Now i have created a user and password following the steps earlier, how do I go about logging in? Which bits do I typed my user (say, 'dog') inplace of, and which do i type my password (say 'bone) in place of?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry if this is a silly mistake to make

gplatt2000 14:06 18 Jun 04

OK I think I have now been VERY stupid....

Right, after what i said above, i decided that I would unistall teh developerside suite, and start again (as I was very desperate to get on and use it, and thought Id just go without a password for now).

Anyway, i follwed the instrcutions in th readme file, and complete these steps:

(1) Stop the Apache2 and MySQL services...

> NET STOP mySQL
> NET STOP Apache2

I then tried the next steps:

(2) Uninstall the Apache2 and MySQL services...

\www\mysql\bin> mysqld-max-nt --remove
\www\Apache2\bin> apache -k uninstall

but got an error message saying cannot detect '...' folder (or soemthing similar)

At this point i decided I'd be patient, and come on here to ask about how to use the apssword. And just now I have tried using the password as before, but now get a message saying 'ERROR 2003: Cannot connect to MySQL server on 'localhost'

I presume this is to dow ith the steps I tried doing to unistall teh program, stopping the Apace/MySQL services? How do I go about getting them running again?

Again, sorry to be wasting your time due to my stupity, kinda embaressed now, but nay help would be great (if I deserve it lol)

Cheers

PurplePenny 17:05 18 Jun 04

I think that all you have to do is type NET START etc. from the command line.

Penny

PurplePenny 17:08 18 Jun 04

You're not being stupid. You are, like me, a trainee geek and we are allowed to post panic messages on here :-)

Penny

gplatt2000 17:10 18 Jun 04

Thanks a lot Penny, I was actually about to just put a post saying I've just worked it out - i say 'worked it out', but really its not hard to realise that the opposite of 'NET STOP' is 'NET START' , but it still took me until now from this morning lol.

But thanks a lot, and ive also maaged to work out how I have to type password/username in order to access the client - i was missing out '-p'.

Thanks again

gplatt2000 19:05 18 Jun 04

And lol, I like that term , 'Trainee Geek', and without you it ouwldnt be possible. thanks again everyone

Gaz 25 06:25 29 Jun 04

ugh - running a homegrown webserver.

One word of warning, make sure you are secure. 1 firewall aint enough for these kids out there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…