using my laptop as a 'video recorder'

SteadyEddie 17:46 21 Apr 07

hi all
I want to use my laptop to record tv digitally rather than buy a box that sits under my tv to do the same thing (I have a dell inspiron 6400).

However I only really want to do this if I can set my pc to wakeup/powerup at the time the programme starts and then powerdown once finished - just like a traditional video recorder. (I'm not keen to run my laptop on full power all day just for say an hr's tv in the middle of the day when I'm not there).

Perhaps this can be achieved through the power management settings - to come out of hibernation for example by a set time (not by a manual action - I won't be there!) and then hibernate again after a certain time.

Has anyone tried this setup?

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 21 Apr 07

Try using windows scheduler bring the laptop out of hibernation and then to shut down (hibernate) the laptop when the program has ended.

click here

Stuartli 18:15 21 Apr 07

If you buy a Freeview USB stick for your laptop, they usually come with software that performs full PVR features, including recording from Hibernation state.

I have a Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card which can be set to resume from Hibernation five minutes before a programme is due to start and record it.

Stuartli 18:18 21 Apr 07

You obviously, of course, have to leave the system itself in Sleep mode so that the software will "wake" it up...:-)

SteadyEddie 18:41 21 Apr 07

thanks - particulary Stuartli - that was exactly the answer i was after. I wasn't sure about how good the software was that is included with USB freewiew tv sticks for managing this process.

Now I have my answer I'll get one in confidence knowing it'll do the job!

ps what file types does the tv prog record in - although I suppose this is selectable by the software included?

Stuartli 19:55 21 Apr 07

You need to check whether the included software has full PVR facilities - video recordings are in MPEG2 but these can, of course, be converted later if required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant