using my laptop away from home

nogga 14:39 26 Feb 05

I will be visiting my family in Hampshire soon and I want to use my new laptop to access my mail whilst I am there. Can I use my existing dial up account, or do I have to change anything. I am using Onetel and lineone but I am not getting any response from their email support teams.

Diodorus Siculus 14:54 26 Feb 05

You will need to look at the website for details; some allow you to connect only from a specified phone line, others from any.

Diodorus Siculus 14:59 26 Feb 05

Tiscali T&C:

[quote]2.9 We have introduced CLI which is "Calling Line Identification". This ensures that your account can only be used from the nominated phone line as an additional security measure. You must ensure that the call line identification function is operational when you access and during your use of the Service.[/quote]

FelixTCat 14:59 26 Feb 05

You can take out pay-as-you-go accounts with a number of ISPs which allow you to log in from any phone. They charge the phone account holder, so don't care who it is.

You can pick up email from any ISP but can only send it from the one you're using at the time.

Hope your family can stand a big phone bill!

nogga 15:06 26 Feb 05

I have pay as you go with Onetel, so I will try that. one and half penny per min

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 26 Feb 05

some ISPs (eg ntl/wannado)have a web based e-mail you can click on the e-mail section on their site and pick up your mail.

FelixTCat 15:15 26 Feb 05

You're welcome.

Diodorus Siculus 15:38 26 Feb 05

Couldn't find the relevant info on Onetel site. But worth checking before going.

anchor 17:30 26 Feb 05

You could use Adial to connect to the internet. No registration needed, local call rates. Then access your messages via web-mail. This would probably be the easiest.

Details here:

click here

Just set up a new connection on your laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…