Using Malwarebytes - when to close System Restore

Border View 09:41 21 Sep 10

Friends computer runs with XP Professional. Its is infected with a virus which repeatedly closes her internet connection.

I have Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware on CDs to load to her computer. Sorry if this is a daft question but I know you have to close System Restore to prevent the virus from hiding in there. Do I close SR before or after I load Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware.

Would welcome your urgent advice as I am about to make a 50 mile journey to help.

birdface 10:02 21 Sep 10

Run the security programs in safe mode and remove anything that they find and then run C cleaner if she has it.Then switch off system restore and reboot.

MAJ 10:04 21 Sep 10

It's possible the vius could be backed up in a SR point, it depends on when the restore point was created, but don't worry about that yet, it wont do any harm in there until you use the restore point. Do your scans, delete what they find, then when all is clean and running well, turn off SR to delete the [possibly infected] restore points. Scan again and if all is still okay, then create a new clean restore point.

birdface 10:05 21 Sep 10

You could try this newish one before you go to safe mode as it will not work on there.
It is getting a very good reputation.

click here

Border View 16:15 21 Sep 10

Many thanks everyone. Followed your advice (didn't use the last one buteman but thanks all the same). All is now clean, well and running OK. She is pleased to be back on the net.

lucky1 22:26 21 Sep 10

Buteman - Surfright looks a good one to remember

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…