Using Linux v Windows

carmichy 23:38 09 Nov 07

I am not sure if this is for the help room or in herebut can I start here. Having used Windows Vista on my laptop since May this year I am getting more and more convinced that it would suit me better to be using Linux. I did try to go the Linux road a few years ago and snarled up my PC while trying to partion it for Linux. I have learned a bit about PC's since then but still think I need my hand held going down that road. I now live in the Philippines and run a small computer repair shop. Linux is hardly spoke of here and thoughtI could open it up more here in Quezon City.

woodchip 00:01 10 Nov 07

Try a Linux Live CD then you will not mess you computer up as it just loads and runs using System Memory. When you switch off it's gone. Only runs when you have it in the drive when you boot. You need to set CD player as first boot in BIOS. click here

Dipso 00:31 10 Nov 07

Wubi is a good way of trying out Linux click here

LastChip 01:04 10 Nov 07

click here for a starter guide to try it from a live CD - in other words, boot from the CD and run it from there without interfering with your hard drive.

If you like it, click here for a walk through on how to install it.

There is (hopefully) further information on that site that will help you, and it's growing all the time.

Hope that helps.

carmichy 13:10 10 Nov 07

TY Woodchip, Dipso and LastChip for the information on Linux. It is looking good for me.

I first started to download on to my server in the shop but my shop is not open long enough for me to see the download complete. Now downloading it at home. I will get back to you all when I have completed the download. We are 8 hours ahead of GMT so it will not be today. Mymain reason for going down the Linux way is that I feel MSN have stolen my computer from me. I try to download a lot of maintenance programmes and Vista send me a message that they have stopped working and it means they (MSN) do not want me to use them. Thanks again and I will stay in touch and come back to close the thread. Cheers Carmichy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced