Using Linux on new build

thewasp 20:07 16 Mar 08

I've recently been given a pc which I plan to use as a backup for basic tasks such as word processing etc.

Unfortunately there is no os installed.
I don't want to spend a lot, so installing xp is not really an option.

I was thinking of installing Linux but know very little about it. Will it run Word or Powerpoint and the drivers required for printing?

What else will it run?

Any advice appreciated.

octal 20:21 16 Mar 08

I use PCLinuxOS click here and that is all I use. The CD will run as what is called a live CD what happens is that the computer is booted with the CD in the drive and the OS then runs from the CD which gives you a chance to make sure the OS runs with no problem before you install it. It does everything you need, plus a lot more and more securely than Windows. there are a few of us on here who run Linux so we should be able to get you going on it. Be prepared though, Linux isn't Windows even though it looks the same, so you are going to have to be patient with yourself as you learn how to use it, but it will be worth it in the end.

rossgolf 20:26 16 Mar 08

maybe use OpenOffice for powerpoint etc...

octal 20:28 16 Mar 08

By the way, it uses OpenOffice as the package for word processing and presentations, spreadsheets etc and it is compatible with MS office, I use OpenOffice at home and take my files into work and they work fine.

There are 7704 programs available at the moment, the plus side is that you don't have to go searching for them, they are all in one place.

ashdav 20:49 16 Mar 08

click here setting up PCLinuxOS
click here various help topics

skidzy 20:50 16 Mar 08

Octal is one of the forum members that has helped me considerably with PCLinuxOS2007 with his help and the others and my limited knowledge of LOS,we can help you with this.

I would advise you to use there forums and have a read of this click here
here you will see some issues i had and plenty of advice and links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac