Using laptop on the move?

bturner 14:30 PM 04 Dec 12

I am subscribed to the BT homehub.

In a couple of weeks time I plan to drive up country a couple of counties looking at properties.

Is there anyway I will be able to use my laptop in the car?

I unserstand there are BT hotspots around the UK but I wont be near any large towns.

onthelimit1 15:50 PM 04 Dec 12

The only way to use a laptop away from places that provide WiFi is to buy a PAYG broadband mobile dongle. Most of the main players sell them.

Have a look here.

onthelimit1 15:52 PM 04 Dec 12

And some info on hotspots

here

bturner 16:35 PM 04 Dec 12

onthelimit, many thanks for the link regarding wifi spots.

A dongle is a great idea, that will be ideal.

I saw a documentary a couple of years ago where it was reported that people could park on a housing estate and connect to wireless broadband that someone had in their house, is that a myth?

Of course I would never want to do that but often wonder if someone is using my wireless connection from my home without me knowing about it.

onthelimit1 18:13 PM 04 Dec 12

'is that a myth'

It is true if their broadband is unsecured - most people these days (particularly in a housing estate) will have security. Anyway, if you connect to their signal it's theft!

bturner 18:43 PM 04 Dec 12

Thank-you again, I think a dongle will be just fine.

mgmcc 10:54 AM 05 Dec 12

"It is true if their broadband is unsecured - most people these days (particularly in a housing estate) will have security. Anyway, if you connect to their signal it's theft"

BT have a system where, in addition to providing users with a secured WiFi connection, their routers also broadcast an unsecured signal which is available to any other BT broadband customers. Additionally, a connection to the unsecured network is available to non-BT customers by purchasing a daily or weekly subscription to the service.

Recently, when away from home in an area where I couldn't get a 3G signal, I was able to get online via someone's BT router by purchasing a weekly subscription from BT. This use of someone else's router is, of course, quite legal.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 review: Hands on with the £239 OnePlus Two '2016 flagship killer'

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…