Using laptop on the move?

bturner 14:30 PM 04 Dec 12

I am subscribed to the BT homehub.

In a couple of weeks time I plan to drive up country a couple of counties looking at properties.

Is there anyway I will be able to use my laptop in the car?

I unserstand there are BT hotspots around the UK but I wont be near any large towns.

onthelimit1 15:50 PM 04 Dec 12

The only way to use a laptop away from places that provide WiFi is to buy a PAYG broadband mobile dongle. Most of the main players sell them.

Have a look here.

onthelimit1 15:52 PM 04 Dec 12

And some info on hotspots

here

bturner 16:35 PM 04 Dec 12

onthelimit, many thanks for the link regarding wifi spots.

A dongle is a great idea, that will be ideal.

I saw a documentary a couple of years ago where it was reported that people could park on a housing estate and connect to wireless broadband that someone had in their house, is that a myth?

Of course I would never want to do that but often wonder if someone is using my wireless connection from my home without me knowing about it.

onthelimit1 18:13 PM 04 Dec 12

'is that a myth'

It is true if their broadband is unsecured - most people these days (particularly in a housing estate) will have security. Anyway, if you connect to their signal it's theft!

bturner 18:43 PM 04 Dec 12

Thank-you again, I think a dongle will be just fine.

mgmcc 10:54 AM 05 Dec 12

"It is true if their broadband is unsecured - most people these days (particularly in a housing estate) will have security. Anyway, if you connect to their signal it's theft"

BT have a system where, in addition to providing users with a secured WiFi connection, their routers also broadcast an unsecured signal which is available to any other BT broadband customers. Additionally, a connection to the unsecured network is available to non-BT customers by purchasing a daily or weekly subscription to the service.

Recently, when away from home in an area where I couldn't get a 3G signal, I was able to get online via someone's BT router by purchasing a weekly subscription from BT. This use of someone else's router is, of course, quite legal.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites