Using laptop as a monitor

Dave Phi 20:42 11 Feb 07

I have recently bought a laptop, but still have my old desktop PC, but no monitor. I want to connect the desktop and view my files on my laptop screen. I have bought an external HDD case, but when I connected this to the laptop, it did not show all files. Can I connect the desktop straight to my laptop and view the files?

woodchip 20:45 11 Feb 07

You can connect the PC if the Graphics support it, and you have the ports on both computers

woodchip 20:47 11 Feb 07

The Graphics I mean are the Old PC, If you are not using a Monitor on the Old one it should connect to the Laptop if the Laptop as a port for it. or you may be able to get a PCMCIA card with a port

You will have to have a video input on your laptop...so chances are, no, you won't be able to.

Dave Phi 20:55 11 Feb 07

Thanks Woodchip & [email protected] I'll give it a go as it looks like I have the correct ports on my laptop.

woodchip 21:00 11 Feb 07

If you have a S/Video in, "not out", it will work with that given the right cable

woodchip 21:01 11 Feb 07

Yes but you need to check that they are input not output, as you may damage you Laptop

woodchip 21:03 11 Feb 07

My Laptop as a Connection for a monitor but that's so you can connect a bigger monitor. It's not for connecting a External PC

woodchip 13:32 12 Feb 07

Best Idea is buy a cheap monitor from a Computer Fair. If you lived near you could have a free one from me. Don't think there is any way you are going to use a PC as the Laptop as to be powered on to use the screen,it then loads a Windows guy. So if you connected a PC what is going to happen to that when you try to put another Image over it from another computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac