Using Laptop at home and accessing home computer

KD123 23:09 14 Aug 06

I have a PC at home for personal use only with broadband access and equipped with Outlook (Small Business Edition 2003). I am buying a laptop both to be used simultaneously with my PC (i.e. 2 people working and using the intenret connection) and for one person to use the laptop but using his/hers Outlook on the home pc (with mail inbox, contacts etc as well as files). What is the best way of achieving this? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

sean-278262 23:21 14 Aug 06

An "RJ45 cat5 e crossover cable". About 5 quid in maplins. If you are really wanting to pinch the pennies I found my laptop and my sisters worked with an rj45 straight through cable we got for £1 in poundsworth.

However the top will be the one that will definately work. I think that mine and my sisters laptops were compatable due to the software installed.

Just go to maplins and ask for the "..." above they will get what you want.

A

KD123 23:44 14 Aug 06

Thank you for the quick response - can it be done wirelessly? (the two scenarios is that (i) my wife needs to work on the laptop from another room/garden while using outlook, files etc and (ii) sometimes we both need to work on the computer but the one working from teh laptopn will probably not use outlook on the home pc)

any idea?

FelixTCat 23:52 14 Aug 06

KD123,

If you want to use Outlook on your main pc from the laptop then you will need some remote control software. XP Pro can be operated remotely from any Windows pc but not XP home.

If your main pc has XP Home, then the best solution I have found is LogMeIn click here which is free unless you want the file transfer option, which of course you don't because both pcs are on the same network.

The only drawback of all remote control programs is that the pc being controlled cannot also be operated locally.

As far as networking is concerned, you might be better off using an adsl modem wireless router so that either pc can access the internet without the other having to be switch on - obviously your main pc will have to be on to use Outlook.

Regards,

Felix

^wave^ 08:00 15 Aug 06

it will cost you but the best way is to get an adsl wireless router you canthen use the lap top in any room.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac