Using laptop hard disk with OS for desk top

bemuzed 21:01 18 Oct 09

Hi - my laptop broke but the hard disk with Vista OS still works. The hard disk of my desktop has also packed up which had XP on it. So, can I somehow plug my laptop disk (SATA connection) with Vista on it into my desktop and getit tooperate the desktop? I wondered if I put the hard disk with Vista on it into a caddy and connected to a USB port if I could get the desktop to boot from there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 18 Oct 09

I put the hard disk with Vista on it into a caddy and connected to a USB port if I could get the desktop to boot from there?

1. No windows will not boot from a USB drive without a lot of work

2. the drivers in windows VISTa for your laptop will not be right for your desktop and it will not boot

3. you would also be breaking the windows license agreement using your laptops copy of vista on your desktop unless it is a retail version and it would also require reactivating.

bemuzed 21:36 18 Oct 09

Oh dear. I did buy XP for installtion on the desktop installation hard drive that has now broken. Could install on another desktop which I can buy without an OS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 18 Oct 09

Yes

Strawballs 00:29 19 Oct 09

Why not just buy another hard drive for desktop and reinstall XP on that as you copy that you bought.

That would not be breaking licence agreement if you bought an OEM copy.

bemuzed 12:52 19 Oct 09

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…