USING A LAPTOP ABROAD

steveshute 20:34 14 Dec 06

I am shortly going to start workin in Latvia - I am told that UK laptops do not work there - any truth in that? If not where would I get an adapter? HELP PLEASE

SANTOS7 20:49 14 Dec 06

ww.travelessentials.com/department/Electrical/Laptop_Adaptors/18501030166.html
the sort of thing you are looking for is in the link but cannot seem to find any this side of the pond..

SANTOS7 20:50 14 Dec 06

click here

OOOOO!!! look a link :-(

Jackcoms 20:52 14 Dec 06

The only adaptor you will need is one to convert the standard UK 3-pin electrical plug to whatever they have in Latvia.

The laptops own power lead will convert the local voltage to a suitable voltage for the laptop.

GasGasOhlins 06:05 15 Dec 06

When I moved to France I brought my laptop with me...I just changed the plug to a local 2 pin plug (as with my cable there is only leads within it).....all that to say,just buy a plug when you get there and wire it up as you would any other electrical appliance...at the end of the day they have TV`s,microwaves etc there,imported from Japan(and rest of world) just like any where else...??

:)

Enoch 06:52 15 Dec 06

Both SANOS7 and Jackoms are correct for powering your laptop, however you still will not get online unless get a converter of your teleohone lead into Latvia, using the local size phone jack from your existing phone jack lead

dms05 07:39 15 Dec 06

I use a couple of UK origin laptops in Spain without a problem. I use a power lead converter to the local 3 pin equivalent. As laptop power supplies are universal (110 and 200-240v) they sort the voltage themselves.

Most countries in the world use the standard telecom pin arrangement of the 2 inside pins (except BT who stubbornly use the 2 outer pins) so you will need a converter, but network RJ45 (ethernet) are standard around the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…