Using Laptop abroad

Jason-284828 10:59 22 Aug 03

I going to Germany next week and want to take my laptop with me, If I take a normal plug adaptor (the type you get from boot and all take on holiday) and use it to charge up the laptop or to power it, while I'm over there, will this be O.K or will it cause problems.

Thanks any help

Ben Avery 11:03 22 Aug 03

if the laptop will charge correctly if Germany is using a different voltage.

I believe the UK is the only place that still runs mains voltage at 240V/230V where others, like the US, run at the lower rate of 110V.

May be worth an email to your laptop supplier to see if you need to "activate" something?

Belatucadrus 11:10 22 Aug 03

Most laptop charger/transformers run on 110/240V so it shouldn't be a problem. But check the unit see what it says. Also check your insurance cover.

DieSse 11:51 22 Aug 03

What you should know about Germany click here inc mains is 220/230V - so fine for UK electrical equipment.

But do get a proper adapter with an Earth pin.

DieSse 11:55 22 Aug 03

"I believe the UK is the only place that still runs mains voltage at 240V/230V"

Sorry Ben, you couldn't be more wrong. The standard European supplies are 230V 50Hz - and this is the declared standard to be aimed at by those who aren't (most of the major countries are)

anchor 14:18 22 Aug 03

I don`t know what make your Laptop is, but my Toshiba does not have any earth connected to the transformer.

I use the normal continental adaptor, available in most electrical stores, and have had no problem in many European countries.

It even worked in the USA, with a USA plug adaptor, where the voltage is 110v.

Ben Avery 14:54 22 Aug 03

"Sorry Ben, you couldn't be more wrong."

Some things never change son!

Jason-284828 14:56 22 Aug 03

Thanks for the advice, I had a look at the power pack, it mentions 110v-240v and has German instructions on it, so I'm sure that means it should be O.K and if not I bought it on my credit card so it's insured.

jakedawe 15:00 22 Aug 03

You think Credit Card companies will reimburse you for plugging into the wrong voltage??

Jason-284828 15:27 22 Aug 03

Hopefully I won't have to find out, The manual, the box the power supply all come with information in German and the power pack says something about 110V-240V which to me says it will be fine.

I might E-mail Medion on Tuesday though just to make sure.

Belatucadrus 15:48 22 Aug 03

click here for a bit more info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…