Using Killdisk to wipe hard disk

TimCDC 16:47 12 Jul 08

After doing a search on the forum here, I've downloaded the free version of Killdisk to wipe the hard disk on an old computer that I intend to take to the local dump. I've installed and run it, but it seems only to be wiping unallocated data sectors, rather than allocated. This means that the data seems still to be there. I'm figuring I'm missing something simple here: can anyone tell me what should be left after running this type of installation (or whether there is a better one) and what it is that I am doing wrong that means that the programme is having no effect?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 12 Jul 08

run from dos off a floppy.

Ditch999 17:28 12 Jul 08

Place said HDD on concrete.
Take a 2lb hammer from your toolbox
Hit HDD until it is broken (especially the PCB)
For extra security take a 6" nail and drive it through the case 8 times in equally spaced areas. (Wear protective goggles at all times whilst doing this)
Guaranteed to be unreadable!

TimCDC 17:58 12 Jul 08

Believe me, Ditch999, I've been sorely tempted! Thing is, I am hoping that someone somewhere might be able to recycle it, so am going for a less drastic option!

Fruitbat, I've followed your advice, and it is now 30 mins into an operation it tells me will take 2.5 hours, so I'll let you know if it works.

I'm actually trying to delete two computer's hard disks. One has booted just fine from the floppy, but the other machine has just skipped it and gone straight to Windows...where do I teach it not to ignore the floppy on startup?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 12 Jul 08

where do I teach it not to ignore the floppy on startup?

You need to go into the BIOS and set the boot seqence so that the first boot device is the floppy.

e.g. A - C - CDrom

skidzy 18:15 12 Jul 08

Dban will do the job for you.

Direct download click here
use something like Imgburn click here and burn Dban cd bootable as an iso image.

Check your bios is set to boot from cd first and away you go.

Or if you wish to use a Floppy or even usb drive click here

Same goes for the bios boot order.

TimCDC 18:23 12 Jul 08

Thanks Fruitbat...second hard disk now being wiped.

TimCDC 19:27 12 Jul 08

And both computers now completely wiped. Thanks for the advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:30 12 Jul 08

glad your sorted, please tick as resolved

ronalddonald 20:34 12 Jul 08

if you still get no joy then remove the harddrive and drill holes into it using a drill. That is if your gonna dump it

bluto1 22:07 12 Jul 08

I see that you'd like for somebody else to get a bit of use from your old PC. Search around for any school for autistic children, for example, (not all State funded) and they'll love you to bits if you give it to them instead of dumping it. I did this in answer to a plea here a few years ago and the journey there from my home was worth it to see the smiles those children gave me. I cannot remember where I took the PC equipment, nor can I trace the request for help on this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…