using a ide hard drive on a sata mobo

losmara 22:26 24 Oct 05

I want to use a ide hard drive on a sata motherboard.

I know I'll need somesort of adapter in order to be able to do this.

My local computer shop quoted me a price of £25 but I have found this one click here which is half that price. Could anybody tell me if this is the right adaptor for what I what to do.

woodchip 22:36 24 Oct 05

Forget the Sata Sockets, You can get this to plug EIDE ata drives into click here
it fits into a PCI slot

007al 22:47 24 Oct 05

do you only have one ide connection on your motherboard?

DieSse 22:53 24 Oct 05

On your link - be aware of the note at the bottom of the information page as to which SATA controllers it works with.

Aso be aware that by the time you've paid p&p it works out at nearly £19 - and if it doesn't work, hassle with returning it. Better buy locally I would have thought, and ask for a "work or return" agreement.

losmara 22:58 24 Oct 05

Thanks for the speedy response Woodchip.

I know this might sound daft but could I just clarify a point before I go ahead and purchase this. The eide drive that I want to use will be the only harddrive in the system. It will boot okay from this card won't it.

losmara 23:05 24 Oct 05

DieSse.

Thanks for pointing that out. How could I find out which sata controller is on the motherboard? Would it generally be listed on the box or would I have to look in the manual to find this info?

woodchip 15:37 25 Oct 05

With the above card you should get drivers, From the link photo etc it runs for EIDE drives Its a Raid card.

Read the FEATURES. And look at the bottom of that list

woodchip 15:40 25 Oct 05

PS also print of reviews to help you set it up.

click here

007al 18:37 25 Oct 05

can you say what motherboard it is?

losmara 23:04 25 Oct 05

007al I haven't bought it yet but I was going to get a Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ

007al 23:26 25 Oct 05

the board has two ide connections on it...why do you want an add on pci card?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…