Using home broadband connection as a proxy from a remote location

SeanThorp 17 Jan 12

Hi,

Although I'm from the UK I spend a good deal of time abroad where I cannot access BBC iPlayer.

What I'd like to be able to do is to use my home broadband connection as a proxy so that when I'm abroad I can connect to it and access iPlayer.

I'm sure this must be theoretically possible but I don't have much of a clue as to how to go about setting it up.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

S

difarn 17 Jan 12

This any good for you?

SeanThorp 17 Jan 12

Only if I already had my proxy server up and running I think.

It's the getting it up and running that has me stumped.

Thanks all the same.

difarn 17 Jan 12

Would this be of any use - found it in a blog about a guy going to Australia - said it worked for him.

SeanThorp 17 Jan 12

Thanks difarn I'd say that'd work but I was hoping there'd be a solution that just used my home broadband router in order to avoid my home PC being on all the time while I'm away.

From trawling the web I think maybe I need to know how to set up my router as a SSH server.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message