using headset & speakers

User-271645 11:02 29 Sep 05

Hi,
I use Skype and a headset,it works very well,clear etc,now all my sounds come through the headset,is there any simple quick way of switching to speakers when wanted?
thanks
andrew

johnnyrocker 11:09 29 Sep 05

if you unplug the headset sound should be restored to speakers, (may need re boot)

johnny.

Stuartli 11:13 29 Sep 05

I use a 3.5mm jackplug adapter which has two outputs from one connection to the sound card.

If I'm using Skype with my headset and mike I turn the speakers off and the headset's volume control up - it's the reverse if I'm using the speakers for music etc.

Such an adapter will cost around £1.50 - an example is shown in this link:

click here

Stuartli 11:17 29 Sep 05

Sorry, wrong one (output to 6.5mm jack plugs)

This is the one:

click here

User-271645 11:22 29 Sep 05

Thankyou johnnyrocker & Stuartli
Reambrandt

bosmere 11:24 29 Sep 05

Same as johnnyrocker, I leave the mike jack plugged in and pull out the speaker jack.

One drawback is that the person at the other end often gets 'echo' that way.

Stuartli 11:30 29 Sep 05

Crystal clear my way and that includes Skype calls to the Caribbean...:-)

Interestingly I have to keep the mike input muted in the mixer but it works as it should with Skype (including the Echo test) and I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging jack plugs from the back of my system.

Bingalau 13:09 29 Sep 05

My headphones are plugged into a USB2 socket. My speakers are plugged into the normal outlet somewhere at the back of the computer (I think). So far I hadn't even thought about having them plugged into the same outlet. I just unplug the headphones from the USB2 socket and the speakers come on automatically....Bingalau

Stuartli 13:40 29 Sep 05

Both my speakers and the headset use 3.5mm jack plugs so the question of USB doesn't come into my equation...:-)

Plugging the adapter into the speakers output socket of my SoundBlaster Live! and permanently connecting the speakers and headset's jack plugs into the two outputs saves plugging/unplugging every time you need to switch from the headset to the speakers and vice versa.

The headset's mike jackplug is also permanently plugged in alongside the jack plug adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now