using headphones with creative s/b live

dfghjkl 02:01 01 Jan 04

hello and happy new year,just fitted soundblaster live 5.1 card and 5100 speakers.i am already missing headphone facility.on old stereo desktop ones i just plugged into jack socket on master speaker and no problems it used to cut external sound.i have no socket on this system,i know were to change in software but this still leaves where to plug in phones.do i have to take out the 3 cables plugged into soundcard then plug into green socket?i expect this will work but it is hassle.i have access to the back of sub if this is easier but still hassle.any idea,s?

Stuartli 08:55 01 Jan 04

You can download the manual from here:

click here

The Line Out jack (fourth from the right) supports headphones; make sure that the Mixer control doesn't have this muted or the sound turned down.

A15 09:30 01 Jan 04

I use a 3.5 jack splitter from the forward speaker output (green). I picked this up from my local videa/audio store & now have two outputs on my SB Live! One which goes to my speaker setup & the other which goes directly to a set of headphones. I find this set up works great for me & I have not experienced any problems with this set up.

dfghjkl 14:14 01 Jan 04

thanks stuarti but i have manual,no headphone clues in mine.A15 i like your idea but how do you cut sound from speakers? do you change to headphones in mixer?also if you split the green plug you would still have to dissconnect the speaker plug or sound would come out of them as well,maybe i am wrong but if you could elaborate i would be able to get my head round it easier.thanks

Stuartli 14:22 01 Jan 04

I have the SoundBlaster Live! and the sockets are exactly as listed in the manual...:-)

Never used it with headphones though, only speakers.

hugh-265156 14:58 01 Jan 04

you need one of these as said above click here

the front left/right output on the soundcard doubles as a headphone socket and the volume of them will be adjusted via the audioHQ "wave/mp3" slider here as is the speaker volume.select "headphone" above from the "speaker" drop down list

just turn off your hi-fi amplifier or speakers when you are listening through the headphones.

Chegs ® 15:08 01 Jan 04

I also use Live card,I have stereo amp connected to one socket on card and headphones connected to other.I often struggle to get audio thru either dependent on which app I use(WinAmp works fine thru either,IE sometimes refuses to play thru headphones,etc)I also have a TV card,this more often than not refuses to play thru headphone socket,and is usually very quiet thru stereo amp,depending on which driver I load for SB.(OEM cd driver rarely works with TV card,XP updated driver from driver guide can be got to work with TV card)

dfghjkl 15:22 01 Jan 04

stuarti,you must have a differant manual because mine has no advice about headphones,my sockets are listed in the manual,and i already know that i can pull out the pc from where it is housed being careful not to pull out any of the masses of cables then take out the green lead from sound card,plug in headphones to green 3.5 socket then put pc back into place being careful not to catch any cables,then go to settings and change from 5.1 to headphones.i was looking for an easier way, not sarcasm.i guess the other option will be the "easy"way thanks

Stuartli 16:40 01 Jan 04

No sarcasm was expressed or intended.

I actually redownloaded the pdf manual from the Creative website especially to check the jackplug layout for you, as it's some time since I installed my Soundblaster Live!

The exclamation mark is part of the soundcard's branding by the way.

Now that's sarcasm...:-)

dfghjkl 15:04 02 Jan 04

no offence i was having a bad day

Stuartli 17:39 02 Jan 04

..mine has no advice about headphones.."

The information about the use of headphones is stated clearly in the illustrated layout of the soundcard and its various input and output sockets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…