Using fast memory with a slower processor

Laser157 10:00 23 Oct 05

As part of an upgrade I need to get DDR memory. The new mobo can take PC3200 but my processor is only an Athlon XP 2400+. I know that speed will be limited by the processor FSB, but I would like to have memory which could take advatage of a future upgrade of the processor.

Am I likely to get any problems with the faster memory and my current CPU?

Totally-braindead 10:07 23 Oct 05

No you're not unless of course you try to run it at the higher speed which will cause the system to crash or lock up. In fact Crucial the memory people recommend that you buy the faster memory for the reasons you say you are thinking of, namely for when you upgrade to a faster CPU. As long as the memory is compatible and you run it at the speed the processor can handle there will be no problem.

CurlyWhirly 10:11 23 Oct 05

I don't think it matters as I currently am using PC3200 (400 Mhz) DDR RAM in my Gigabyte mobo and as my current processor only supports a 333 mhz FSB, the memory just runs at the slower speed with *no* problems.

Laser157 10:47 23 Oct 05

Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…