Using external hard drive

Hetti 11:12 19 Aug 06

I was thinking about buying an exteral hard drive, but I have a question I would like to ask.

If I back up the whole hard drive onto ex hard drive from one PC, can I then take the Ex hard drive to my laptop and use one select particular programme from the ex hard drive to use on my laptop?

ArrGee 11:16 19 Aug 06

You will have to install the application on the laptop before attempting to use it.

Pineman100 14:26 19 Aug 06

As ArrGee has said, you can't run a program just by trying to open its file(s), which is what you would be trying to do. The program has to be properly installed on the computer that is trying to run it.

However, you could install the software on your laptop, as well as on your PC (I think most software licences will allow this), and then use the external hard drive to transfer your data files from one computer to the other.

However, if this is your only intended use for the hard drive, you're probably choosing a slightly clumsy way to swap the data files about. A little USB stick drive would serve just as well, and would be much easier to carry around with your laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…