Using an external hard drive

polo 20:16 10 Mar 06

Just been bought a present (late Xmas present!) a 200gb external hard drive. What's the best use I can make of it bearing in mind that I've alreay got a 300gb unpartitioned hard drive in my computer. My thoughts are in terms of back up but to a novice like me it all looks so complex. My main use of my computer is for photography and all things visual as well as recently some music. So far I've backed up just my photos with CD's. I suspect the hard drives need partitioning as a first step? with thoughts of Nortons Ghost or some such software? I'd like to have an automatic backup of my hard drive on the external one. How possible is that?

woodchip 20:35 10 Mar 06

Yep that would be my first step, Using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10. And I use Acronis True Image 9 also click here

Diodorus Siculus 20:36 10 Mar 06

click here for a very good guide.

polo 23:23 11 Mar 06

Thanks Woodchip and Diodorus Siculus, I'm exploring your links. Looks complicated!

terryf 00:19 12 Mar 06

Using the Acronis Disk director wizards should be ok and easy to use but I would keep the drive as 1 partition and use Acronis Drive Image to make backups of the C drive, You could consider putting all your data like docs, pics, etc on the 2nd drive with only OS and progs on the C drive then make an image backup of a clean installation of your os and progs on to the second drive. Backup your emails and OE account settings on to the second drive using something like EA8. If you ever get win problems it takes about 5 minutes to restore from the image on your 2nd drive. Name the folders where you kepp dat an the 2nd drive differently from the names msoft uses because windows is quite stupid some times and will look around our system for any folders named (for instance) 'My Documents' and sweep them up onto your C drive. I have a Pics and Dossier folders with sub-folders like worddocs, textdocs and PDFs. In my opinion, 300gb is too large for a C drive, consider getting a smaller say 30 gb for only os and progs, make the 300gb your data drive and do backups to the external drive

Enoch 00:29 12 Mar 06

Just want you guys to know that I have been trying to find an answer to backing up successfully, and lo and behold, I found the answer in this string

Thanks

polo 10:38 12 Mar 06

Glad you understand it all Enoch! I'm struggling inspite of all this generous help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…