Using Email with Broadband

mike55 19:20 22 Jun 05

I have recently changed over to BT Broadband and the only problem I have is trying to use email. I have a web based email account which works OK but if I try to respond to a link or send a page to an email address Outlook Express opens but the email gets rejected. How can I make use of File/Send/ page or link.

Magik ®© 19:33 22 Jun 05

if you are using BT yahoo then you need to tick the box in the servers page, "outgoing mail server" under options..

mike55 17:15 10 Oct 05

My internet access was provided by Freeserve and email was by Outlook Express. I recently changed over to BT Broadband and now can’t get Outlook Express to work. I have checked the i/c and o/g mail servers and they seem to have the correct settings. I can access my email account using web based facilities, my home page is still Freeserve and there is a box there to access email, which is OK except for the times I want to sent something direct by email, like using Word and then File/Send To/Mail Recipient, when I get a failure message. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, of a long period of inactivity.
Account smtp (1) Protocol smtp port 25. secure (SSL): No socket error 10053 Error number 0X800ccc0f.

VoG II 17:18 10 Oct 05
  woodchip 17:20 10 Oct 05

You have to change your Account in the Mail Program to the Server you are now using as under it should be smtp and then your server address

SANTOS7 17:22 10 Oct 05

0x800CCC0F CONNECTION_DROPPED Connection closed.
click here
this may help..

GJC 17:34 10 Oct 05

This sounds like an erroe that a friend of mine had when he switched from Freeserve to ADSL from a different supplier.

He could still receive e-mails, but if he tried to send anything, it got rejected.

We finally traced it down to "anti-spam" filtering on the Freeserve system. If you are not connected to Freeserve (either via dial-up or a direct ADSL connection) it won't let you use it's outgoing mail server.

The "fix" is to change your outgoing mail server to use your new ISP's mail server (or switch to Freeserve broadband).

Something else to be aware of: If you don't log in to your freeserve account (by dialling in), it will automatically delete after 3 months (unless they've changed their rules), so it's probably worth letting all your contacts have your new e-mail address (at your new ISP), and setting up 2 incoming mail servers (you will need to set up 2 accounts to do this) one for freeserve & the other for the new ISP.

I hope this is of some help.

jolorna 20:51 10 Oct 05

if you cant solve the problem any other way you can always use this program to send your freeserve mail using bb click here which was what i used, bt bb also give you free email now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…