Using a different Windows disc

reddwarfcrew 21:51 29 May 03

After reading the thread in the consumerwatch about not having an XP disc, but recovery disc with your new PC, it has posed a question.

My PC cam with a recovery disc, but a mate has a genuine XP disc.

Am I able to use his disc, with my serial code, to repair / reinstall windows?

powerless 21:59 29 May 03

I believe so.

Although remember to enter your details and not his.

Despicable Desperado 22:00 29 May 03

No reason why not

powerless 22:01 29 May 03

Second thoughts "recovery disc".

I'm not sure now.

Djohn 22:02 29 May 03

but you should have the option to repair windows from your restore disk, without having to do a complete restore of system.

reddwarfcrew 22:08 29 May 03

I do hate these 'recovery discs'. Personally I prefer to load the OS and all drivers myself.

btw, I tried to run a repair the other day and it asked for the administrator password.

Now mine is the only account and its shows me as the admin in user accts, but I have never set a password.

Do I need to set a password in order to run a repair, or does this sound like something the manufactuer may set and that I need to contact them?

powerless 22:12 29 May 03

Press ENTER at this password prompt.

(no admin password you do not have to enter one, pressing enter will allow you to continue)

DieSse 22:14 29 May 03

Probably not. In my experience, CDs of a similar type can use the serial number of the same type with no problems. For instance, WinXP Home, UK version, with SP1, Full retail, will work with anothers serial number of the same configuration.

BUT - change that to non-UK version, or OEM version, or non SP1 version, and it won't work.

All the combinations I've tried abide by the above rules, but clearly I haven't tried all combinations by a long way.

reddwarfcrew 22:14 29 May 03

Unfortunately it doesn't and after 3 presses of enter it tells me that it will re-boot.

Despicable Desperado 22:19 29 May 03

There are two repair options in XP (as there is in 2000) - if you choose the first 'R' then you are asked for the password, which unless you have set one, as Powerless has said press enter. This brings to a command prompt and you then use console commands to do various repairs. If instead of pressing 'R' you continue as iif you were doing a new install you will then get a secong option to select 'R'. This will then do an automated repair (which is a bit like a full reinstall). This does not change any of the file system etc but you will have to reinstall any Windows service packs. This is why you should be able to use a full up XP disk rather than your computer restore disc as long as you use your own Id key.

Djohn 22:19 29 May 03

Maybe you entered your own name when first setting up the PC, I know that when I installed XP it asked me for a password for admin. account.

Just entered my surname, it hasn't asked me for a password yet, but I suppose if I want to change any settings, it will!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…