Using a different USB ADSL modem than supplied

FatboySlim71 08:43 08 Dec 06

I was wondering if someone could tell me.

I have AOL Broadband Gold and was wondering,

1: Can I purchase/use a different USB ADSL modem than what was supplied (one that was supplied was BT Voyager 105)

2: Can anyone recommend a good USB ADSL modem, the only thing I find with the BT Voyager is that sometimes it can be a bit hesitant.

Stuartli 09:00 08 Dec 06

Yes you can use a different USB modem.

However why not use a modem router if your motherboard has a LAN facility?

I bought this a few weeks ago; it's proved excellent and, what's more, probably cheaper than a USB equivalent as well as being up to ADSLMax2+ capable:

click here

I paid nearly £24 including delivery but it's even cheaper now.

FatboySlim71 09:05 08 Dec 06

Please could you tell me how I can check if my motherboard has a LAN facility, also how do you connect it to the PC and configure it with AOL software to connect to the internet.

Stuartli 09:10 08 Dec 06

Check in the motherboard manual if the board has an RJ45 connection (for the Ethernet cable from the modem router); if not you can buy a PCI network card at very low cost. See:

click here

Full instructions on how to set up the Guru (rebadged Safecom) modem router are included with the product; it can also double up as a USB version, but this would be defeating the object...:-)

FatboySlim71 09:19 08 Dec 06

Stuartli, what would you say the advantages are by using a Ethenet cable rather than the USB cable.

I have just checked in device manager and this is what is shown,

click here

FatboySlim71 17:18 08 Dec 06

Bump

Stuartli 17:51 08 Dec 06

The Ethernet cable goes from the modem router to the LAN (RJ45) connection on your motherboard (or PCI card); you appear to already have the required connections.

You may need to install LAN drivers on your system - the manufacturer's motherboard manual will list what is required. You can download the latest drivers from the website or use the motherboard CD-ROM and install them.

FatboySlim71 18:00 08 Dec 06

Thanks very much for the help Stuartli, I will have a look through my Motherboard manual now, im sure its a Foxxcom motherboard. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…