Using Different Operating Systems with Router

hs82 15:00 18 Aug 06

Apologies is this is an obvious question but a search of the forum didn't turn up any previous answers.
I want to know if there are any barriers to using a router (wired, not wireless) to share a broadband connection between two computers were one is running Windows XP Home and the other Windows 98 SE? I've had major problems trying to get the PCs to share files when connected by a crossover cable, but presumably this wouldn't be a problem when they simply need to share access to broadband?
Any responses much appreciated.

ade.h 15:22 18 Aug 06

If file sharing is not involved, then a mixed-OS network can have no bearing on router performance or function, since the router cannot know what OS is involved any more than its clients know that they are specifically connected to a router.

Strawballs 16:10 18 Aug 06

When you had them connected via crossover did you run the network wizard on the XP machine and produce the floppy when asked to run on the 98 machine. I only asked because my first network was just that except I used a hub instead of crossover because I was given it and it all worked fine.

hs82 16:17 18 Aug 06

No I didn't do that, which could be my problem. Anyway, so long as I can get them both sharing the broadband connection I'm not so fussed about the file sharing issue. Thanks for your help ade.h and Strawballs!

Strawballs 16:32 18 Aug 06

I forgot to say if you are going down the ICS line use the XP machine as the main connection to the net (Gateway)

ade.h 16:44 18 Aug 06

Once you're using a router, any future file sharing won't require the use of the wizards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…